Greetings from Deep Creek Lake…In Preparation for Winter…Halloween Calendar. In Preparation for Winter…Halloween Calendar. It’s pumpkin season and Griffin and Jensen couldn’t be more excited:)! If you are looking for a neat place to shop for pumpkins visit Klotz Farm near the Schoolhouse Earth gift shop on Route 42/Friendsville Road just outside of McHenry.
As the leaves and temperatures begin to fall, it’s time we start thinking of ways to ensure that winter doesn’t take a toll on our homes or pocketbooks! Here are some tips that may help:
1) Clean Your Gutters – this will help prevent the build-up of ice on your roof.
2) Check For Leaks – seal up any drafty areas to save on heating costs.
3) Insulate Pipes – by insulating your water pipes and hot water heater you can save on your water heating costs.
4) Check Your Furnace Filter – because your furnace will be getting a lot of exercise soon, you will want to change out you filter to help your furnace run more efficiently.
5) Trim Trees – look around your yard to check for limbs that could potentially fall and hit your home, your car or a power line.
6) Prep Your Snowblower – make sure it starts and is filled with gas and that you have a few snow shovels on hand.
7) Clean Your Chimney – before you use your fireplace each year it’s a good idea to have it cleaned to eliminate fire risks.
8) Check Your Iceguard – if you have electric strips on your roof that help prevent ice damming, plug them in to make sure they work.
9) Plowing – if you hire out your plowing, I’ve found it easiest to be on a set schedule with your contractor so they know to plow when we receive 4 or so inches of snow at a time.
10) Set the Temperature – sometimes vacant homes will be completely winterized with little to no heat. While this will save on heating costs, it doesn’t bode well for real estate showings. It’s hard to get that warm, cozy feeling in a cold home!
11) Drain Your Pipes – should you choose to turn off the water and take this step, be sure to properly drain them to eliminate the risk for frozen/busted pipes. And, if your home is on the market you should place a note on each toilet so that no one attempts to use them while previewing your home.
The Spiker Team has a great new lake view home for sale on over 3 acres atop Wisp Mountain. A lot size of this kind with a terrific water view is hard to come by. We also have a double lot in North Camp @ Wisp with easy access to the slopes (walking distance) that is bank owned and has been reduced by another $20K! We are happy to field any of your real estate or DCL area oriented questions 301-616-5022, www.DeepCreekLakeProperty.com. http://mrislistings.mris.com/DE.asp?ID=59916082134
The community has quite a few activities for the kids (and adults) this Halloween season (flyers below). Trunk-or-Treat seems like a fun idea that gets the parents and the children involved. Then, Wisp is hosting a Wicked Wine Tasting to benefit Garrett Mentors on October 30th. And The Black Bear Tavern always hosts a rockin’ Halloween Costume Party which will be held on Saturday, November 1st. Happy Halloween!