Top Ten things to do at the Garrett County Fair
1. Stock and Hot Stock Tractor Pull– Enjoy locals challenging each other with torque and horsepower in this classic American event. Video here
2. Demolition Derby- This is a favorite event for me and the family. Does it get any better than watching cars smash into each other until they cannot run anymore? Last car standing! Video here.
3. Cow Patty Bingo- Imagine if you would, a large bingo board drawn out in an arena with labeled squares. Then you let people bet on & choose specific squares. Now for fun, let’s let a bunch of cows mosey on this real time bingo board and let their droppings decide a winner by the location its dropped. How can you dislike this old time tradition?
4. Food- Enjoy special fair food here at Deep Creek Lake. Pit beef, Rotary french fries and vinegar, Lions Club chicken dinner, taco salad, funnel cakes, turkey legs, Amish milkshake, Hotdogs, cheese burgers, homemade lemonade, pizza, corndogs and more.
5. Mud Bog- There are many different classes of mud stomping hotrods! This event screams excitement! Lineup of mega horsepower at a starting line with hundreds of feet of extra sloppy mud to drive through. The sounds of thunder coming out of these machines is exhilarating.
6. Mechanical Bull Riding- What is there to say… You had a weird moment in life when you thought you wanted to be John Travolta in Urban Cowboy. Here’s your chance. Put your boots, hat and chaps on and give it a whirl.
7. 4-H & FFA Livestock Sale- This cattle and pig auction is special for a lot of reasons. Basically the whole process is that young future farmers raise and take care of a grain fed cow without the use of steroids, hormones and chemicals. The auction helps these young boys and girls raise money to continue learning in the farm industry. The product from these animals is absolutely delicious and most local’s split a steer to put in the freezer to enjoy for the following year.
- Music-Each year they bring in very entertaining music with a country to bluegrass flair. They always provide a toe-tapping backdrop to the busy and vibrant fair.
9. Craft Barns– The craft barns have an amazing assortment of arts and crafts done by local artisans. You may see creative wood working items, quilting’s and photography. They also have fresh baked goods, jellies, cheeses and cookies. There is also a blue ribbon styled award for the best and largest produce. I highly recommend taking a few laps through these interesting buildings.
10. Carnival Rides-Bring the kids and have a blast on the traditional rides that we all grew up loving. The ferris wheel, the round-up, the scrambler, the carousel and funhouse come to mind. We all love to push the limits of excitement on squeaky classics.